Friday, September 4, 2009

Day Four - Mai Tai?; My God!

After a loungy day by the pool, which included a few colourful drinks and some beer-battered shrimp soft tacos (which I am going to have every other day until I leave - they were sooooooo good), we went out to dine at the Market Restaurant (by Jean-Georges Vongerichten) at The One & Only Palmilla Resort.

This seven-star property was incredible in every way. There was a server to guest ratio of (at least) three to one and I later learned that this restaurant had the most complete wine selection in all of Mexico. While too fancy for me (I like my food fairly plain and I don't deal well with lots of staff - or anyone - fussing over me), I really enjoyed the night out with good friends. I skipped having a starter to ensure I finish my main course but my portion was so generous, my hunger was more than satisfied. I think the chef may have given me extra to compensate for not having a starter. The desserts looked great but until I head back to the gym, I will test my will power a little longer.
Our plan was to hit a salsa club after dinner but after eating such a full meal, it didn't seem like a realistic option. Instead, we ventured out to the pool bar for one last drink under the (full) moonlight before the 25 minute cab ride back to our resort. The view was nothing short of spectacular (photo above). The moon was full and there was a huge ring around it which I was desperate to capture in a photograph but it was impossible for me to do so with a point and shoot. Between the glow of the moon and the hypnotic fire in the nearby firepit, I was mesmerized. I could have sat there all night - or so I thought (keep reading).

The girls each ordered a vodka tonic and I asked for a Mai Tai for the first time. I tried my very first mojito before dinner but I didn't like it. I felt like I was drinking a salad. I had bigger hopes for the MT. The drink was strong, but not as strong as the will I needed to not embarrass myself by freaking out over the bill.

Processing exchange rates in one's head can be confusing, but I am clever enough to be able to do math without electronics. Still, I had to confer with my friends as there was no way I could have been right. When I told them the bill for the three drinks was $75, all I heard in return was "SHUT up!". Well, it was true. Including service charge, the one round of three drinks came to $74.55; nearly a thousand pesos.

What baffled us the most was that the cocktails we enjoyed with dinner, which involved a lot more labour than simply twisting off a cap on a bottle of vodka and pouring some into a plastic cup, were half the price. Perhaps the drinks were better priced in the restaurant because guests were also spending money on food? I suppose guests who are paying $600-1,500 a night for their hotel rooms are not too concerned about shelling out $25 for a cocktail.

I paid the bill and we walked back to the lobby to catch our cab home. "Oh well", I thought, "at least this story gives me content for my blog".

As such, I am accepting donations from all of my loyal readers for your share in my experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment